GIMME THE LOOT
Cert 15
79 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong language, sex references and soft drug use.
Crikey, the world and it's dog have been falling over themselves to praise Adam Leon's low-budget Gimme The Loot.
There have been grand claims of 'the first great New York film of the decade' and it being 'endlessly entertaining.'
I rarely read reviews in advance of seeing a movie but in this instance I wanted to know whether Mrs W was likely to enjoy it.
So, on the basis of the overwhelming positive words I persuaded her to park herself on the sofa and flicked on my preview DVD.
Sadly, the urban New York love story between a couple of youngsters just on the wrong side of tracks didn't woo her.
I, on the other hand could see its merits; it has a freshness brought on by some keen observations and directing which gives a sense that the actors are improvising.
However, I will admit that it took me a while for my ears to key into the New York/patois-style accents of its leads (Tashiana Washington and Ty Hickson).
They are best friends and graffitti artists who become frustrated at their work being overwritten by other crews.
Thus, they come up with an plan to get their name in lights at Shay Stadium.
In the meantime, they try to negotiate their way through daily life in a tough neighbourhood where petty theft seems to be a method of survival.
There is no doubt that Washington and Hickson have a charm which is out of place with their tough surroundings. Both are involved in small-scale crime but do it with a smile on their faces.
Ultimately, Gimme The Loot doesn't really go anywhere but it promises much for its director, particularly considering the fact that it took just a month to make.
Laughs: a couple of sniggers
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 6/10


0 Yorumlar