Planes are continually flying over my home as I type.
They are dropping fire retardant into the hills above our Alpine home.
Today started out like any other day, I was making the last minute preparations for our annual outdoor 4th of July breakfast.
This afternoon around 2:30 I was contemplating making a pool noodle U.S.A. banner to string across my pergola.
Suddenly I heard sirens and saw a fire truck come racing by.
I ran out to discover that the hills North East of our home were on fire.
Before long there were numerous fire trucks, police, newsmen and woman.
Channel 2 news.
They interviewed my hubby but he didn’t get it recorded.
The fire grew so quickly. In a matter of 45 minutes it had reached the top of the mountain. ten to twelve fire trucks and the National Guard came to assist.
Two neighborhoods just North of us were evacuated. We were told to be on alert by a neighborhood watchman.
I quickly grabbed my 72 hr. kits (which I might add are so outdated) and what is most important to me. My scrapbooks and quilts. Hubby came home ready to grab our important documents, discs, and computers.
I told hubby the other thing I might want are the pictures of my grandchildren hanging on the stair wall. Although I realized these could easily be replaced.
As I looked around my home and garden I couldn’t help but think how sad it would be to lose all the things I love. However, I knew that none of that really mattered in times like these and one must stop and think about “What in life is really important.”
Don’t get me wrong, little things are important. but life itself is of the most importance.
One thing I was thankful for is my blog. Many neighbors were quickly taking pictures of their homes inside and out. I told hubby that I didn’t need to do that because my blogging has done that for me.
So far only a barn has burned. The wonderful firefighters did an awesome job keeping the flames away from the homes. There is a huge home up on the hill and the fire burned all around it.
I know that we are not totally out of danger yet, but I am so thankful that it’s not as threatening.
Because of all that has been going on I have not prepared my post for Share Your Cup. I will be busy celebrating the 4th with family so I will post it Thursday morning. Thank you and I hope you will come link up.
God Bless America and the Firefighters!
Hugs,
Jann

0 Yorumlar