At Triples on Saturday, I picked up some sample pith helmets and rifles from Irregular Miniatures.
I started wargaming aged 10 using a shoebox full of plastic Guardsmen and toy cannon when we discovered Peter Young's Charge! in the library. I have always treasured the figures ... I have always liked 54mm wargaming.
(a couple of Gordon Highlanders from the late 6os ... the rest of mine are mostly away on exhibition)
But although these figures are a wonder all of their own, the down side is they have ceremonial bearskins and Trooping the Colours style SLRs. I have never really been happy with how that looks and they are inordinately bendy ...
(this picture edited from Smallscaleworld.blogspot captures the bendy SLRs perfectly)
So I took a couple of damaged old soldiers, chopped off their heads and replaced the weapons ...
(Britains plastics refurbed with heads and rifles from Irregular Miniatures multipart 54mm)
The fit looks perfect to me ... the marching highlander has a pith helmet with puggaree, and a Martini Henry, the kneeling guardsman has a plain sun hat and a bolt action rifle. At the time of posting, the parts cost 50p each (so the refurb would cost £1/figure ... I think they look great at that price)
I favour the helmet with puggaree, but I do like the bayonet ... maybe I can persuade Ian Kay at Irregular to make some Martini Henries with bayonets ... after all ... to quote ...
Lt. Chard: If it's a miracle, Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer-Henry point-four-five caliber miracle.
Sgt. Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind it.
Of course I wouldn't touch any of the mint condition figures, or the sought after marching band ... but for the worn and bendy bulk of those old toys, I think a new life back in the line awaits.
These old cavalry will look good after a bath in some warm washing up water, too, I wouldn't wonder ...






0 Yorumlar